I think GIS is an excellent way of visualizing what you are after.  I can advise you on the non-GIS process to get the information necessary to support your GIS project.  I will not discuss the methodology for converting whatever you find to digital format because I’m a land surveyor and would probably suggest something outrageous.  Here are my abbreviated thoughts:

Developing a historic chronological record of property line changes over time for a large area will be a real challenge and will require a lot of good old fashioned land records and assessor’s records research.

If you are fortunate enough to have a parcel layout from c.1893 for the subject area, my initial step would be to digitize that, overlay it on the current parcel layout and identify the differences.  The assessor’s office may even have the old assessor’s maps from the 60’s or 70’s which would even help some.  These may have to be digitized, distortion removed, etc. in order to overlay on the current - it can be done.  Once I could begin to identify differences between c.1893 and present, I would begin by identifying larger subdivisions of simultaneous conveyances, finding the associated subdivision maps and associating the date for the creation of each new parcel and perhaps adding a subdivision map name (attributes of the corresponding polygon).

It gets tricky for the small lot splits, consolidations and lot line adjustments that happen over the years.  They may or may not have maps associated with them and will unfortunately probably be the lion’s share of the changes you need to identify.  In these cases, I would first check the assessor’s record for a parcel - sometimes the assessor’s “card” contains a limited historical record of conveyances  with the dates, deed volume/page and previous owner names.  This might at least get you started.  For most of these, you will undoubtedly end up in the land records to read the deeds and develop title abstracts necessary to identify when and how parcel changes occurred.  Many will not have maps associated with them so you may have to actually read the deeds to identify a change that you know occurred.  Another method would be to go through all the subdivisions and property survey maps filed in the land records for your area (usually indexed by both street name and owner) and identify which maps pertain to your subject area, apply dates, map titles, new polygons etc.

If you don’t have a historical parcel layout from c.1893, it will be more difficult because you will not have the benefit of being able to identify the differences before you start.  You will need to just work back from the present as stated above first with subdivisions, then with the small lot splits, consolidations and adjustments.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Steven R. Marien, LS, CFedS

Director/GIO

CAD/GIS Document Control Department