Hi Amy

 I will suggest to save all the edits and formatting and close the mxd. Now open a new mxd and import all your fc on the TOC and check if you still have those green dots (This is only for  checking).  Probably, you will not get those dots. Now go to your previous mxd, make a copy , open and remove the point feature layer that you want to show on your map. Save and close it. Again open the same mxd and bring back your point feature layer. I hope you will not get those green dots but you you have to work for formatting for this particular layer again.

Give a try and see.

Thanks.

Binod