Sam,

This article may help on both of your questions regarding accurate
geospatial representation and accessibility of 3D structure/environment
mapping.

https://www.pobonline.com/articles/101379-d-scans-help-preservation-of-landmark-alaska-mine

Meg

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:00 AM NEARC-L automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Drone End product storage, data dissemination
>   2. 3D Data

> This list (NEARC-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all NEARC Users.
>
> If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
> yourself by going to http://s.uconn.edu/nearcsubscribe.

> Date:    Wed, 28 Nov 2018 15:58:21 +0000
> From:    "Lingeman, Samuel" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Drone End product storage, data dissemination
>
> Looking for insight as to others might be dealing with the mass of
> information being produced by their drone and how they are storing that
> info, and more importantly making it accessible to others.  For example, I
> have a series of drone flight orthomosaics for a construction site.  I'd
> like to somehow make these available in a webmap.  What's the best way to
> do that?  We'll have ever increasing amounts of this data as we fly for all
> major utility and capital projects.  What's the best way to plan on storing
> this data and distributing it?
>
> Sam
>
> Samuel Lingeman '00, GISP
> CAD/DMS/GIS Administrator
> Campus Dig Safe Coordinator
> Facilities-Campus Planning
> "Pride, Service and Dedication"
> 22 Colovos Rd
> Durham, NH 03824
> 603-862-4218<tel:603-862-4218>
> Facilities Website<https://www.unh.edu/facilities/caddmsgis>
> 43° 8'10.65"N 70°56'20.23"W
> [logo]

> This list (NEARC-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all NEARC Users.
>
> If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove
> yourself by going to http://s.uconn.edu/nearcsubscribe.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:41:13 +0000
> From:    "Lingeman, Samuel" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: 3D Data
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has a work flow for 3D Data, specifically 3D
> buildings, and locating them accurately.  Currently, I have accurately
> mapped building footprints, based on our floorplans, which are
> georeferenced.  I use those floorplans in SketchUp and create a 3D model,
> but it does not have coordinate information.  Using the SketchUp tools to
> georeference are not accurate enough.  Exporting to collada and importing
> to multipatch and then moving the multipatch to the proper location is not
> accurate enough as I can't get it to snap properly to data that I know is
> accurate. I can basically rotate, and move, but can do that with accuracy.
> I'm sure there is a better workflow and way to do it, I welcome more
> experienced folks to chime in.  Thanks again NEARC community, this is a
> great group and a great resource.
>
> Sam
>
> Samuel Lingeman '00, GISP
> CAD/DMS/GIS Administrator
> Campus Dig Safe Coordinator
> Facilities-Campus Planning
> "Pride, Service and Dedication"
> [...]

Meg Watters Wilkes, PhD
Archaeologist, Northeast Region
ASMIS Coordinator
National Park Service
115 John Street, 4th Floor
Lowell, MA 01852-1195
(978) 970-5147 (office)
(978) 770-8169 (mobile)
Northeast Region Archaeology and Tribal Programs News
<https://sites.google.com/a/nps.gov/in2-northeast-region/staff-and-offices/ard-resource-stewardship-compliance-preservation/cultural-resources-1/archaeology-and-ethnography-program/archeology-program-news-and-updates>