Esri has announced it will be releasing an update to ArcGIS Online (AGOL) on December 4, 2018. This will include new functionality, workflow changes, updates to the interface and the biggest change, addition of several new user types. I thought I would share the new user type changes with everyone if you have not heard about them.

Currently AGOL supports two user types, Level 1 (Viewer) and Level 2 (Contributor). After the update, there will be 5 user types, Viewer, Editor, Field Worker, Creator, and GIS Professional. So, what are the capabilities of these new user types?

Viewer

Editor

Field Worker

Creator

GIS Professional

Esri is making the change to the user types in response to request from users. Under the current system, if you want someone to go out in the field and perform inspections using Collector or Survey123, they must be a level 2 user which costs $500 per user and provides a lot more capability than an inspector needs.

Under the upcoming update, the inspector can be a Field Worker user. This provides them with the abilities they need and no more. This in turn increases security of the over system and reduces the chance of data be inadvertently changed.  While we have not seen the pricing for the new user levels, we assume that a Field Worker user would cost less than a Creator but a bit more than a Viewer. The result should be a reduction in cost for new users because you do not need to buy a higher user level for your team to do what they need to.

For more information about these upcoming changes to AGOL check out the following resources:

  1. What's Coming: Introducing User Types
  2. What's Coming in ArcGIS Online: Introducing User Types
  3. Coming Soon: User Types

We hope you have found this information useful. We will keep you posted as we learn more.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP | Chief Executive Officer
eGIS Associates, Inc.

[log in to unmask] | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design Associate

Order my new ArcGIS Pro Cookbook now & don’t forget about Learning ArcGIS Pro

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=ind1811&L=NEARC-L&E=base64&P=346842&B=------%3D_NextPart_000_0056_01D47BF6.CBEDAF30&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image002.jpg%22&N=image002.jpg

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=ind1811&L=NEARC-L&E=base64&P=355229&B=------%3D_NextPart_000_0056_01D47BF6.CBEDAF30&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image004.jpg%22&N=image004.jpg