Dear Colleagues,

As you know, it is our expectation that our next president will soon be named and that they will begin at UConn this summer.

As the relationship between a president and the leader of the university’s academic enterprise is so critical, I believe that the next president should be free to select the provost of their choice when they arrive at UConn. Given that, I write to inform you that I have decided to step down as executive vice president & provost effective March 1, 2019, and will return to the faculty.

This will allow the next president to select a provost based on their own academic priorities, vision for the institution, and their specific preferences regarding the individual who fulfills this role.

While my tenure as provost at UConn was not a lengthy one, it was nonetheless rewarding and productive. I thank you for your collegiality, and wish you all the best.

Best regards, Craig

Craig H. Kennedy, Ph.D.

Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs

University of Connecticut