Quite often surveyors will do scans without a coordinate system. The scans are simply relative to the location of the scanner. This is super frustrating for us GIS nerds and has resulted in a number of brawls between surveyors and GIS folks at bars over the last decade (pro tip: carrying around survey gear makes you a lot stronger than typing on your keyboard so try not to pick fights with the survey community). The best way is to clearly specify that the scans must be tied to a real world coordinate system in the contract.

E57 is a common format for terrestrial lidar scanning. Give LASTools a try for converting from E57 to LAS.

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/download/e572las_README.txt

FME is another great choice (if you have a license).

https://www.safe.com/integrate/astm-e57/

--

Jarlath O’Neil-Dunne

University of Vermont | USDA Forest Service R&D

Website   Twitter   Blog   LinkedIn