Esri recently released an update for ArcGIS, 10.7. This included new versions of Desktop, Enterprise, Engine, and Explorer. As expected this new version of ArcGIS focused more on improvements to Enterprise than other components of ArcGIS. At this time eGIS does not recommend upgrading your current production environment to this new release. It is still to new and may cause unexpected issues.

ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcScene and ArcGlobe) really only got bug fixes. Though there were a few improvements to working with LAS files, geoprocessing tool efficiency improvements, addition of two new coordinate systems and other minor tweaks. But overall nothing to really write home about. This is to be expected as Esri is focusing all their desktop development efforts on ArcGIS Pro. If you do want to see a complete list of what's new in ArcGIS Desktop 10.7 click on the following links:

ArcGIS Enterprise contains a lot of updates and improvements with this new release. ArcGIS Enterprise is a bundle of products which includes ArcGIS Server, Portal and SDE. Back a few versions ago, Esri decided to bundle all these together into a single product they now call ArcGIS Enterprise.

ArcGIS Enterprise

Esri has big plans for ArcGIS Enterprise moving forward. It is required for the new Utility Network which is replacing the old geometric network and from what we have heard it will also be required for a new version of the Parcel Fabric being developed. So it is no wonder that this new version has a lot of updated for Enterprise.

Here are a few of the key updates for ArcGIS Enterprise we felt were important:

There are many more. We just picked a few improvements we were excited to see. For more information, click on the links below:

As always before you deploy a new version to your production environment, we strongly encourage you to test it as thoroughly as possible to ensure you do not encounter any bugs or issues with any apps or customizations you have deployed.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP | Chief Executive Officer
eGIS Associates, Inc.

an Esri Release Ready & ArcGIS Online Specialty Silver Partner

[log in to unmask] | www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System Design Associate

YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Patreon

Order my ArcGIS Pro Cookbook now & don’t forget about Learning ArcGIS Pro