Thank you for the great feedback!  Here is a summary of comments.

·         M.2 as the boot drive – currently using SSD 850 EVO SATA M.2 250GB

·         I would suggest getting an NVMe SSD for your boot and application drive. They are much faster than tradition SATA SSDs. Then have a second SATA SSD for files and temp storage. I am currently running three drives in my system. One NVMe boot drive (500 GB), One data drive (256 GB SATAIII SSD) and one 1 TB 7200 RPM Archive drive. This has worked great for me.

·         The speed and number of cores should be enough for most ArcGIS Pro functions unless you are working with large datasets, doing a lot of 3D rendering or performing a lot of Raster/Lidar work.

·         Are you planning to do any 3D? If so I would suggest bumping up the Video Card. If you will be working off the local drive frequently, and have any room to tweak the options, try to get the primary solid state drive in M.2 NVMe (Class 50).

·         Insist on an onboard 2nd hard drive system with some mirroring or backup array capability.  My new computer came with a 1 Tb 2nd hard drive, which was a disappointment and I have requested a 3 or more Tb drive to replace or augment it. The LiDAR data I have for all of VT takes up a lot of space, so processing has been difficult or failed when that available space fills up.

·         I would think about 600W-650W power supply. You want to take the calculated wattage and be somewhere between 30-70% of the total wattage. 92% usage of 400 watts will burn that PS out quickly. 500W would be the smallest PS I would get.

·         Don’t go with less than 512gb drive for boot drive. Also consider how many other programs will be installed. Windows tends to hide their boot data on a virtual section of that boot drive to keep it safe.

·         I recommend a larger second drive for local processing. Pro can be slow to run things over the network.

Claire W. Brill, GISP

GIS Manager

City of Worcester

Technical Services Department