Hi Bruce,

I'm not a drone user, but I have a couple of friends at work who are
into them and I've learned a bit from their discussions on the subject.

For starters, I will echo what Bob Bistrais said in that "toys" better
to learn on since they're harder to fly.  Basically, the more expensive
the drone, the better and smoother the flight.

As for what to buy, DJI is the de facto industry leader for most
reasonably priced drones.  You can spend upwards of $10,000 if you
really want a drone like film studios are using, but I don't think that
fits your use case. While it's out of your initial price range, I'll say
that one of those folks from my office bought a DJI Mavic and has raved
about it.  The video quality is exquisite and he was simply awed at the
flight experience.  It's also very portable -- folds into a block about
the size of a loaf of bread for travel.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

Thanks,

    Frank