/Users/danawilder/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_400188135

To the UConn Community:

Monday, October 14, is designated as Columbus Day, a federal holiday established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1937. This holiday also provides us the opportunity to acknowledge the important legacy of indigenous identity, history and culture in Connecticut, across the nation and the Americas, and across the globe. As a land grant university and Connecticut’s flagship public institution, we recognize that we share this land and our history with those who have come before us and continue to reside, work, and live in our state.

The very name of the state of Connecticut derives from the Mohegan word Quinnitukqut, meaning “long, tidal river.” Connecticut is home to numerous indigenous communities, including but not limited to the Mohegan, Mashantucket Pequot, Eastern Pequot, Schaghticoke, Golden Hill Paugussett and Nipmuc Peoples. In recognizing their continued existence and claim to this land, we seek to strengthen our relationship with these neighbors and join with towns, cities, and universities across the United States in acknowledging their contributions, past and present, to the health and vitality of our shared communities.

Many US cities and universities have adopted a recognition of Indigenous Peoples Day on the holiday traditionally being recognized as Columbus Day, in order to bring light to this important history.

Acknowledging the history of indigenous people is one step on a journey towards ensuring a community of inclusive excellence here at the University of Connecticut. We encourage you to use this week as an opportunity for educational enhancement and a celebration of the cultures and histories of Indigenous peoples, on this campus and beyond.

To that end, please join us at any of the following events hosted by the Native American Cultural Programs office as UConn recognizes Indigenous People’s Week.

Indigenous Peoples Week of Events:

·       Monday October 14th – Indigenous Peoples Day Celebration

o   Location & Time: Alumni Center @ 5:30 pm

o   The Native American Cultural Programs is hosting the Indigenous People’s Day Celebration on Monday October 14th at the Alumni Center. We would like to appreciate and celebrate the indigenous communities that have steward the land. Come join us as we celebrate these communities.

o   Light refreshments will be served Please RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/75146863291

·       Tuesday October 15th - Native Americans Portrayal in Museums

o   Location & Time: Oak Hall Room 110 @ 4:30 pm

o   Brianna Rae from the Anthropology Department will be discussing how museums have represented and displayed Native Americans over the past few centuries until today. She will also share the perspectives of museum curators in New England.

·       Wednesday October 16th – “Dawnland” Screening & Discussion

o   Location & Time: Gentry Room 131 @ 5:30 pm

o   A documentary about cultural survival and stolen children: inside the first truth and reconciliation commission for Native Americans. Dawnland aired on Independent Lens in November 2018 and was awarded an Emmy® for outstanding research in 2019. Discussion leaded by Kaylee Jangula Mootz

·       Thursday October 17th – Quinektikut Blanket Exercise

o   Location & Time: Dodd Center @ 12:00 pm

o   Join us to recognize the land our institution is on and participate in an interactive and experiential learning activity that guides participants through themes of land dispossession, culturally genocidal policies and the effects of colonialism through culturally grounded and respectful methods.

o   Facilitated by  Akomawt Educational Initiative

Sincerely,

John A. Elliott

Interim Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs

Dana A. Wilder

Interim Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer