Dear all,

Today's speaker at the Analysis and Probability seminar is Brian Street from the University of Wisconsin. The tile of his talk is "Convenient Coordinates," and the abstract is below.

The talk will begin at 1:30PM in MONT 313. You can find information about future A/P talks here: http://calendar.uconn.edu/2019/month/10/376/.

Best,
Scott

Abstract: We discuss the method of picking a convenient coordinate system adapted to vector fields. Let $X_1, ..., X_q$ be either real or complex $C^1$ vector fields. We discuss the question of when there is a coordinate system in which the vector fields are smoother (e.g. $C^m$ or $C^\infty$, or real analytic). By answering this in a quantitative way, we obtain coordinate charts which can be used as generalized scaling maps. When the vector fields are real this is joint work with Stovall, and continues in the line of quantitative sub-Riemannian geometry initiated by Nagel, Stein, and Wainger. When the vector fields are complex one obtains a geometry with more structure which can be thought of as "sub-Hermitian".

Scott Zimmerman, PhD | Assistant Research Professor
Department of Mathematics | University of Connecticut