Date:    Sun, 29 Dec 2019 21:55:20 +0000

From:    Alison Pechenick <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Our Town coordinates

Greetings all,

I've just finished viewing Thornton Wilder's wonderful classic 1940 movie version of his play "Our Town", and knowing the mountain village setting to be modeled after Peterborough, NH, was disoriented by the coordinates put forward as the play opens:

The name of our town is Grover's Corners, N.H., just over the line from Massachusetts; latitude 42 degrees, 40 minutes, longitude 70 degrees, 37 minutes.

Poking around a bit, I discovered this creative classroom exercise, and thought to share:

https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/pdf/geoinquiries/american-lit/7-ourtown-amlit-geoInquiry.pdf

Best wishes to all for a fine 2020,

Alison Pechenick

UVM Faculty, retired

P.S.  William Holden fans:  For a wild contrast, watch Our Town and Stalag 17 in close proximity.

Joseph J. Kerski, Ph.D., GISP | Education Manager

Esri | 1 International Court | Broomfield CO 80032-3200 | USA

303 449 7779 x1-8237 | M 303 625 3925 | [log in to unmask] | esri.com

https://esriurl.com/josephkerski https://twitter.com/josephkerski

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE ®