Dear international students and scholars,

Recently the University announced a temporary move to online courses starting March 23 as preventative measure to reduce risk of student exposure to Covid-19. This has many implications for international students, visiting scholars and family members. Please read the following carefully:

Live Chat for International Students and Scholars

ISSS hosted an online Live Chat today to provide information to students and scholars related to their visa status, options to stay in residence halls, and ISSS services during the break. The recorded live chat will be posted on the ISSS website next week.

ISSS Business Hours until April 6

ISSS at Storrs campus plans to remain open Monday-Friday during Spring Break, as well as after when classes move online. We will have limited on-site staff, but will be open to the public for assistance from 9 am 12, and 1 pm to 4 pm.

ISSS offices at Stamford and GBLC will not be accessible to students for the time being, however ALL ISSS offices will continue to process student and scholar immigration benefit requests, and advise international students and scholars remotely, even if operating under reduced office hours, or office closure. ISSS Law hours are still to be determined. Regional ISSS advisors will remain in contact with their respective populations regarding services.

Remote Learning – ISSS Check-In Form

The F and J visa rules require you to notify ISSS where you are physically residing. This is particularly important during a pandemic of this nature. All international students, scholars and OPT/ Academic Training participants on F-1 and J-1 visas will be required to complete a Remote Learning-ISSS Check In form through the ISSS Portal by Friday, March 20th. You will be required to update this form any time there are changes to your physical location (where you are living), your course load (if you are participating in full time courses or not) or your work location (OPT/Academic Training and Visiting Scholars).

Online Classes and F/J Visa Status

Under normal circumstances, students on F and J visas are limited in the number of online courses they may take. The government will allow an exception to this rule because of the emergency circumstances. You will not endanger your F-1 or J-1 visa by taking all online courses in the United States during the period when the University moves to online coursework, as long as you continue to participate on a full-time basis, or otherwise have an approved reduced course load.

Students Who Will complete Online Courses from Outside the U.S. (travel home or to another country)

You are required to notify ISSS if you will depart the U.S. and complete your coursework from abroad. Notify ISSS by completing both the Remote Learning-ISSS Check In form and the Travel Information Record. At this time, the government is allowing students who will participate in UConn online courses to maintain an active SEVIS record while abroad. This guidance could change. If courses remain online through the rest of the semester, we anticipate that your SEVIS record can remain active and you can use your current I-20/unexpired visa for return, provided you are not subject to any further entry restrictions at the time of your return.

If courses resume in-person instruction, and if you cannot return to take the courses in-person, it is likely that your SEVIS record will be terminated. While terminated, you will not be able to use your I-20/student visa for return.  ISSS will work with you to get a new I-20, or to reactivate your current I-20, for return.  You must submit a Travel Information Record with accurate travel dates so that we can assess your situation and advise you on next steps.

Exchange Visitors (J-1 visa holders) must also notify ISSS and submit a Travel Information Record if you will depart the U.S. due to Covid-19 concerns. If you will end your program early, please email ISSS.

Processing for Summer CPT/OPT

Students who were planning to apply for CPT/OPT may still do so while the University moves to online courses. We will work with students so that you can either pick-up your documents, or have them mailed to you. If you have a OPT application pending with the U.S. government, and you have moved, remember that you must notify both ISSS and USCIS of your address update.

I-20 Processing for New Students

ISSS will continue to process new I-20 and DS-2019 forms for admitted students who meet all criteria for the form. Due to uncertainty related to international postal services, you may experience delays in receiving your document.

Taxes

Federal taxes for income earned in 2019 must be mailed to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service by April 15th. Students and scholars with U.S. based income may request a tax code from ISSS to use the Sprintax service to self-prepare a federal tax return for free.  This service is available to students who are nonresident aliens. Email [log in to unmask] for a tax code. If you need to prepare a state tax return, you can also do this, at cost.

Receive Text Alerts

F and J visa students (not scholars) who would like to receive text alerts from ISSS on their U.S. phone number should update the SMS Text Number field in your ISSS Portal profile.

Visit https://isssportal.uconn.edu/

Click “Login” in the upper right corner

Select “F-1/J-1 NetID Login” and Login with your NetID and PW.

On your User Homepage, Click on the “Edit Profile” button in the Profile Section with your SEVIS ID and Photo.

Enter “SMS (mobile text) Phone Number” and select mobile carrier.

Click “Update”

Please contact ISSS with any questions you have at [log in to unmask] . We will do our best to answer you quickly, but we are dealing with a very high volume of inquiries right now, and so we thank you for your patience.

Rae Alexander
Director

International Student and Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT

GLOBAL AFFAIRS

2011 Hillside Road, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
ISSS Drop-In Advising:
MON - THU: 1:30  - 3:30 pm

To unsubscribe from the INTERNATIONAL-L list, click the following link:
https://ListServ.Uconn.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=INTERNATIONAL-L&A=1