I agree – option 1 should almost always be better.  This comes down to ArcGIS desktop requiring a very low latency environment in order to achieve an optimal response.  You can test your latency by running an MS ping to your network from your laptop at home vs. from your RDP desktop.

Here's a chart I’ve seen that outlines how much data latency can affect desktop response.  Almost a doubling of response time for every millisecond of latency introduced!

Brett Shaver
Senior GIS Consultant

Data Analytics and Visualization Group

ERM

One Beacon Street | 5th Floor | Boston, MA 02108

T +1 617-646-7827 | M 603-320-0263

E [log in to unmask] W www.erm.com

https://theermgroup.sharepoint.com/sites/Minerva/aboutERM/BrandIdentityPictures/ERM_logo_and_strapline_for_email_signature.PNG