Are you all up to date on your service packs?  Those are easy to miss.  Our IT department configured a dual threaded VPN connection which helped with our speeds.

Is your computer at home connecting to the VPN through WiFi or is to connected directly to your router?  When I switched from WiFi to wired my internet speeds jumped by 1400%.  I had an old coaxial connection in my living room.  I took that out and ran an ethernet cable through my basement to the router.  It’s an ugly wiring job but it works!  I’m getting a little network hub so when my kids have to use their Chromebooks for distance learning they can be wired as well.

I also checked out my ArcGIS license so I wouldn’t have to maintain a connection to the license server.

It wouldn’t work for SQL but if you’re the only one editing file geodatabases then you can make a map package of your MXD and bring it to either Microsoft One Drive or your local machine, just be sure to update the edited files back to your server at the end of the day.

With the ethernet, the checked out license and moving my project to my One Drive account I can work without using a VPN connection at all, that makes it better for everyone else trying to connect to the home office.

If you can’t move the data then when you work in an MXD make sure that you set a folder connection directly to your project folder, that will help with lag.  And in your map properties set your home geodatabase to the one you have to edit.

If all else fails, kick everyone in your house off the internet! Good luck!

Meghan C. McGaffin

GIS Coordinator