Hi Alina,
I am Option 1 as well.
Laptop (tiny screen!!! So spoiled at work) with VPN and then RDP into my desktop to do any heavy editing. I tested some geometry edits and reconcile and posting yesterday and it worked better than i expected.  I am planning on holding off on any really heavy editing unless absolutely necessary.

We are trying to mostly work in AGOL since we don’t have VPN for everyone.
I have a service set up for attribute editing but due to our geometric network and attribute assistant setup no geometry edits from there.

Good luck!
Jess