Dear UConn Employees:

As the University continues to monitor the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, across the globe, we are taking steps to help improve our informational awareness and reduce the risk to our community state-wide.

GUIDANCE UPON RETURNING FROM INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

Effective immediately and in accordance with guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), UConn and UConn Health will require that employees follow the guidance below:

1)     Individuals who have returned from personal or business travel within the past 14 days from a CDC Level  2 or 3 country should remain at home for at least 14 full days after their return from these countries and self-monitor daily for fever (>100.5 degrees F), cough, and shortness of breath.

2)     Individuals who have already returned from a CDC Level 2 or Level 3 country, returned to work, and remain within the full 14-day period of potential exposure, please inform your manager and the Office of Human Resources (see contact information) immediately and remain at home for the remainder of the required full 14-day period.

3)     Individuals who are asymptomatic during and after the full 14-day period should notify their manager and the Office of Human Resources before returning to their regular duties/station.

4)     Individuals who develop symptoms during the full 14-day period should contact their primary care provider to determine the necessity of an in-person medical evaluation. Individuals should also notify their manager and the Office of Human Resources. Employees should seek emergency care if symptoms worsen after alerting the facility of your travel history and impending arrival.

5)     Individuals with household members who traveled to a CDC Level 2 or Level 3 country and who may or may not be symptomatic should remain at home for 14 full days following first contact following their return.

NOTE: UConn and UConn Health may identity new geographical regions, including domestic areas, as areas with risk of spread of COVID-19 and travel to these regions may result in exclusion from work activities upon return. Anyone who is not a U.S. National returning from a CDC Level 3 country may not be readmitted to the U.S. by Custom and Border Protection.

MANDATORY INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL REGISTRATION

Effective immediately, UConn and UConn Health have cancelled all institutionally sponsored international travel to CDC Level 2 and Level 3 countries. Guest visits from these countries is also suspended at this time. It is strongly encouraged to cancel or postpone all non-essential foreign travel at this time.

Before commencing any international travel, employees, residents and guests must complete this form via the Office of Global Affairs. Individuals currently abroad should also complete the form.

Note that the form asks for your Net ID and password. There may be employees, residents and guests who do not use their Net ID regularly and may not know it or do not have one. If that is the case, please click here and follow the instructions.

Once the form intake occurs, a number of additional internal steps will occur and the Office of Human Resources may contact you based on the complete details of your form.

DOMESTIC TRAVEL

Business travel within the United States is currently allowed at the discretion of UConn and UConn Health employees and managers using the regular protocols; but in an abundance of caution business travel may be reviewed to determine if that business travel is immediately essential to the mission of the University. All personal employee travel within the United States remains a personal choice, but we urge you to take special precautions in respect to your own health.

GUESTS, VISITORS, AND OTHERS WHO ARE NOT EMPLOYEES

Please inform external contractors, vendors, consultants or residency program directors that UConn and UConn Health is barring international business travel to CDC Level 2 and Level 3 countries. Individuals, including non-employees, who have visited one of these nations in the last 14 days must undergo a 14-day self-monitoring period at home before returning to any University campus. This restriction does not apply to those seeking treatment at UConn Health.

HEALTH TIPS

Here are some tips to stay healthy:

TELECOMMUTING

All employees who are being instructed to stay at home for 14 days and monitor their health may be approved to telecommute for work with University approval in accordance with our respective telecommuting policies, guidelines, and bargaining unit contracts. More information regarding telecommuting will be forthcoming from the Office of Human Resources.

PAY

All employees who are being instructed to stay at home for 14 days to monitor their health and for whom no telecommuting capability can be arranged, will be placed on paid leave through the 14 day self-monitoring period and paid in accordance with their regular base rate of pay. Note: Some exceptions apply to temporary and short-term employees.

IF YOU OR A HOUSEHOLD MEMBER BECOMES ILL

Employees OR household members of employees who become ill with COVID-19 or manifest symptoms of the virus must follow the instructions of their health care provider. The illness may or may not rise to the level of a Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) event, but the Office of Human Resources will provide all the relevant FMLA paperwork as appropriate. Employees who are or become ill should use accrued leave time, if applicable. If an employee exhausts their sick leave, employees should use other accrued leave, including vacation, personal leave, or any additional time prescribed by a specific bargaining agreement or policy. Employees who do not accrue paid time off should contact their manager and the Office of Human Resources.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Please contact your primary care provider with medical questions. Individuals may also visit the two University websites for Storrs & the Regional Campuses and UConn Health.

Please contact the Office of Human Resources for any other questions, as appropriate:

·        Storrs/Regionals: [log in to unmask]

·        UConn Health: [log in to unmask]

In closing, as the University and the Office of Human Resources continues to develop more information for all campuses, we will keep employees apprised of further guidance and FAQs. We are grateful for all ongoing efforts and encourage all supervisors to take a moment to talk to their teams about contingency and continuity planning, including staffing and resource needs.

For many in the UConn community, this is a very stressful time. Remember that our strength as an institution lies in our respect for each other, understanding, and compassion. Please continue to be supportive of one another, take care of yourself and each another in in the days ahead. Together, we will work to ensure the health and safety of our community.

Sincerely,

Chris

Christopher Delello

Chief Human Resources Officer