Dear Colleagues,

As I mentioned in my message on Wednesday, as we consider the budgetary uncertainty we face in the months ahead, we will need to make difficult choices.

We do not know what our fiscal future will look like or how long it will take our economy to recover. Given that, it is important that we undertake careful and conservative planning with respect to our budget. To that end, I have directed University staff to begin planning for a variety of financial scenarios we may have to contend with, from moderate to worst-case.

As that planning continues, there are steps we at UConn can take right now in the spirit of economic prudence. Below, please find a policy that will be implemented immediately that places strategic restrictions on hiring and spending at the University, which will remain in effect until we have a better sense of the fiscal impact of the pandemic. The goal is to conserve resources and exercise appropriate budgetary caution while also remaining flexible in supporting the best interests of the university and our fiscal priorities.

These fiscal priorities include:

·       Ensuring the University’s long-term viability

·       Protecting this generation of students from the fiscal impact of the current crisis

·       Continuing to invest in new revenue-generating opportunities

·       Protecting the UConn family to the extent possible

Please direct questions to EVP/CFO Scott Jordan at [log in to unmask] or Interim Provost John Elliott at [log in to unmask].

This policy excludes UConn Health, which will develop its own guidance for hiring and expenditures due to its unique mission and the continuing health care crisis.

I have been beyond impressed and heartened by the way our community has reacted to the challenges we face. That continued perseverance and steadfastness will help us to get through this crisis.

Though cautious, we will also remain hopeful. Thank you for your support of this important temporary measure.

Sincerely,

Tom

***

Spending Freeze

Policy Statement: To manage the financial risks associated with the uncertainty of future revenues, the University hereby implements a hiring and spending freeze, effective immediately. However, this freeze is flexible in order to support necessary spending in response to the pandemic, sustaining our teaching and research missions, and keeping our employees and students safe and healthy. Essential personnel will be staffed to meet the service level expectations of the University.

Hiring and personnel expenditures

Non-personnel operational expenditures

This emergency spending freeze will continue until we have a better sense of the fiscal impact of the pandemic. It is meant to conserve University resources in the face of financial uncertainty. Unit leaders (i.e., Deans, VPs, AVPs) should reconsider proceeding at every stage of the procurement and hiring processes before committing University resources.