Dear international students and scholars,

We are writing to let you know of a rumor that the U.S. government could issue an executive order in the coming weeks that impacts the F-1 visa OPT program and other nonimmigrant employment visas. We are letting you know of this rumor now, not to create fear or worry for you, but to give you context for any news reports you may hear on the topic, and to help prepare you in the event that an executive order is actually issued. We want to be clear - no executive order has been issued at this time that impacts OPT and other nonimmigrant work benefits.

We do not know much about what a possible executive order would cover, if ever issued. For example, it is unknown which work visas could be targeted, when it would take effect, or how it would be implemented. While the rumors are very concerning, we are hopeful on two accounts: 1) That corporations and businesses who employ international students and other nonimmigrant employees would not support restrictive measures, and may have influence over the matter and 2) that an executive order, if issued, might be challenged through the legal system and delayed or prevented from going into effect, as have other executive orders.

Please know that the University of Connecticut maintains active membership with organizations such as the Presidents' Alliance on Immigration and Higher Education, and NAFSA: Association of International Educators - both organizations would almost certainly respond to government measures impacting the OPT benefit, and involve member institutions in their efforts. The State of Connecticut is also represented by Senators who are pro-immigration, and the UConn Office of Government Relations maintains relationships with our state representatives.

ISSS will provide you with updated information if an executive order were introduced that impacts your F-1/J-1 immigration benefits. We will continue to support you to achieve your academic and career objectives during this difficult time. Thank you, and please reach out to your international advisor<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fisss.uconn.edu%2Fstaff%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C3df3bce5f73349389f2508d7fb623562%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637254271532887047&sdata=C16cvmiEhjqtYfqLCWqNr3CxA9SE%2BCDIYhksJIQw3Ow%3D&reserved=0> with any specific questions or concerns that you have.

Rae Alexander
Director
International Student and Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT
GLOBAL AFFAIRS
2011 Hillside Road, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855  |  EMAIL: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
ISSS Drop-In Advising:  MON - THU: 1:30  - 3:30 pm