Our agency transitioned to WFH overnight with remarkably few issues because our IT staff had already supported remote control of our office desktop systems using LogMeIn. We chose this method over VPN access because it looked to be easier for our staff to use and we didn't need to invest in a complicated network configuration to control and isolate potentially infected/compromised clients connecting via VPN. LogMeIn offers Windows, MacOS, and mobile clients (no Linux, sadly), which was a must, given that we are now relying on whatever computers that staff happen to have at home. And for the most part, staff DO have their own home computers, meaning that their office equipment can remain running in the physical office, available for them to remote control. While this solution isn't for every organization, it does satisfy the requirement to keep the processing cycles and heavy IO within the office network and off the narrower pipe to the outside, and it doesn't require investing in a dedicated RDP/VM server, only in software licenses for LogMeIn. (Every host to be remote-controlled has to run a lightweight LogMeIn service.) I don't think display performance, refresh, etc. matches that of RDP, but it has been perfectly adequate for 2D GIS work. Maybe this kind of solution--there are a few other products similar to LogMeIn--could work for you.

David Knudsen  |  Chief GIS Programmer/Analyst

CENTRAL TRANSPORTATION PLANNING STAFF

ctps.org/bostonmpo  |  857-702-3669  |  [log in to unmask]