Tossing this out to the thread, just found this @ Esri support:

Problem: ArcGIS and VPN: Understanding connection errors, timeouts, and performance issues when working remotely

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023346

From: Northeast Arc Users Group <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Adam Galambos
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 8:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Remote access of GIS

[EXTERNAL SENDER]

Greetings everyone,

I’m seeking peoples experiences with accessing their organizations’ GIS data from home. I’m working with a small nonprofit that has, like many others, transitioned to more remote access since Covid. They have a file server in house which is currently being accessed via VPN. They don’t utilize the full capabilities of ArcGIS enterprise and, up until recently, things were running smoothly. They’re investigating retooling their GIS to allow easier and more integrated methods of accessing GIS data from off site. One suggested solution, that I’m a fan of, is to invest in a dedicated Remote Desktop /VM server so all the data and the computational load is server side and not client side. I’m curious what you’re all experiencing during these times; I’m sure we’re not alone!

Many thanks,

Adam

--

Adam Galambos