Our Municipal Light Plant is interested in converting their electric infrastructure data (CAD/spreadsheets/etc.) into a GIS format and we are looking into what options we might have moving forward. We are early in the process and don't have any end-use goals yet, but I was hoping some folks would have similar experiences or advice they could share.

  *   Has anyone used Esri's Electric Utility Network and Data Model? Was it easy to work with or more trouble than it's worth? Were the premade apps/maps/solutions easy to use for non-GIS folks or did you create your own?

  *   Has anyone chosen to create a custom data model and applications or use a geometric network instead? How did you go about setting those up and are you happy with them?

  *   Have you set up tracing/isolation/load/capacity or other analysis-type workflows?

  *   Any pitfalls you came across that we should look out for?

Any input would be great, thanks!

Michael Thompson

GIS Manager | Town of Wellesley

525 Washington St | Wellesley, MA | 02482