Dear colleagues,
please share this position with your networks.
Visiting Assistant Professor in Geographic Information Science
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub

Job Description:
The Department of International Development, Community, and Environment (IDCE) at Clark University seeks to fill a 1-year visiting Assistant Professor position in Geographic Information Science to begin August 2021. The initial appointment will be for one year, but may be renewed for another year, pending funding and satisfactory performance. The major responsibility will be to teach technical GIS courses, including Advanced Vector GIS, Python Programming, Computer Programming for GIS, and Web Mapping and Open Source GIS. The faculty will be expected to teach 5 courses per academic year plus student advising.
This position principally serves Clark's Master of Science in GIS (MSGIS) - a joint Program between IDCE (https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clarku.edu%2Fdepartments%2Fidce&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb0e55f7254784f44c19808d904ded451%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637546177356486100%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=W68ZDqEKp03nETExGA5%2B3O2MUwuuNS%2BQfmzmuJjbnss%3D&reserved=0) and the Graduate School of Geography (https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clarku.edu%2Fdepartments%2Fgeography&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb0e55f7254784f44c19808d904ded451%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637546177356496059%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=ExSoGCm0X23mgepSEINZtub9UQl9Yv5xmZyfUT%2BvYeU%3D&reserved=0). However, students in IDCE's other degree programs often take GIScience classes as part of their coursework.

Requirements:
A PhD in Geography or related discipline is required at time of appointment. The successful candidate will have strong competency in geospatial research methods, including advanced geoprocessing, spatial statistics, computer programming for GIS or web mapping. Examples include demonstrated experience using and teaching programming languages such as Python and related GIS packages or front-end web development for mapping applications using technologies such as Mapbox, LeafletJS, or hosting and spatial database management using PostGIS or similar.  Strong knowledge of ESRI's ArcGIS is required; familiarity with QGIS is desired.

Additional Information:
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To apply -  https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fclarku.interviewexchange.com%2Fjobofferdetails.jsp%3FJOBID%3D130173&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb0e55f7254784f44c19808d904ded451%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637546177356496059%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=1hJ3dD%2BrqDwTFhiVMAFfglB8PFCHmWT9Q5TSJCaLeaM%3D&reserved=0

 Thank you,

Yelena Ogneva-Himmelberger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of International Development, Community, and Environment
Adjunct Associate Professor, Graduate School of Geography
Coordinator, MSGIS Program
Clark University
950 Main St.,Worcester, MA 01610
tel. 508.421.3805