I fussed about that question a lot this semester and ended up cobbling together readings from various sources. I also gave some ESRI online exercises in place of some readings. I have used the Bolstad book for years, because I like that it goes into depth (and it is inexpensive), but it has gotten very long, with some irrelevant details and some parts needing updating. I did still use one chapter on sampling, which is better than others I've found. I looked closely at several other books but decided they moved too slowly through too little material.
I have pretty mixed feelings about what I used this semester.
Mary Ann Cunningham
Vassar College