For more advanced classes, I moved to R or python. Lots of options for books when you move outside of arc.

On Wed, May 19, 2021, 2:49 PM Florencia Sangermano <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Marcia!
For Intro GIS I use Mastering ArcGIS (from Maribeth Price) for how-to tutorials and Bolstad for theory. Students like  Price's book as they have step by step instructions and video instructions (I have not used the ArcGIS Pro version yet). They don't like Bolstad at all, although I think it is very comprehensive.
There are lots of tutorial materials online too. Joseph Kerski develops a lot of materials: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/61b85d6e210b4dae8844ba534de183da/

For more advanced classes (raster analysis / modeling) it is harder to find books. For my advanced raster gis class this semester I ended up writing a Moodle book with the materials I was covering in the class, and assigning peer-reviewed publications.

Take care!

Flor

Florencia Sangermano, Ph.D.
Assistant  Professor, Graduate School of Geography
Clark University
Worcester, MA 01610
[log in to unmask]" shash="grNdtsALJCYj6rEGVxBnnAGOYzalfO4fhf1uxzm5yIm3YGzCigfKYzXlK0h9Qo7OpIXqBFtMDwxveqoPYtNiiJavMqqZuo+2sb1ssFngmNiXxnlEJCRo4lcTfPMKSvC2obdK5h4gX3+DQl+fK9EwEKPn9vpkYe+jFdfR+TfhGS0=" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">[log in to unmask]
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers

From: Northeast Arc Users Group <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mary Ann Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 10:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [EXT] Re: Spatial Analysis textbook

I fussed about that question a lot this semester and ended up cobbling together readings from various sources. I also gave some ESRI online exercises in place of some readings. I have used the Bolstad book for years, because I like that it goes into depth (and it is inexpensive), but it has gotten very long, with some irrelevant details and some parts needing updating. I did still use one chapter on sampling, which is better than others I've found. I looked closely at several other books but decided they moved too slowly through too little material.
I have pretty mixed feelings about what I used this semester.
Mary Ann Cunningham
Vassar College