Sent on Behalf of UConn Human Resources

--

To the UConn Community:

Throughout the pandemic, UConn has worked diligently in its mission to safeguard the health, safety, and well-being of our students, faculty, staff, and the public and visitors it serves.

We write today to clarify the recent guidance from the CDC and the State of Connecticut regarding masking and social distancing, and to update you on each of the following areas as they apply to our Storrs and regional campuses.

The following are the protocols for all UConn campuses (excluding UConn Health), and will be in place until further notice as we approach the fall semester. We know that everyone is interested in our protocols for the fall and we are evaluating those as well, but this communication specifically addresses the protocols we are reinforcing until Aug. 15.

We continue to encourage our community to take advantage of vaccination programs statewide, including at UConn locations. Thank you for helping to maintain a safe and healthy environment for everyone in and outside of UConn facilities, regardless of vaccination status.

MASKING:

Regardless of vaccination status, all employees, visitors, vendors, and students entering these venues must wear an appropriate face mask INSIDE OFFICES AND BUILDINGS, CLASSROOMS, LABORATORIES, DINING HALLS, AND OTHER CAMPUS DINING FACILITIES.

Colleagues, including employees, students, student workers, volunteers, and visitors must wear a face mask at all times, except when working alone in segregated spaces such as a private office or cubicle where there is a six-foot separation from others. Face masks must be worn at all times when another individual is present.

Face masks may be removed while actively engaging in eating or drinking, provided that a six-foot distance from others is maintained. Unmasked exposure to others while eating or drinking should be limited to less than 15 minutes.

STUDENT RECREATION CENTER:

Here are the summer hours for the UConn Student Recreation Center and related facilities.  Masks are required in the center regardless of vaccination status. UConn Recreation will operate through the summer with limited hours; employee access will not be reinstituted until August; and student access remains limited at this time.

OUTDOOR GATHERINGS AND OUTDOOR CAMPUS SPACES (see separate item below regarding athletic events):

Capacity limits are lifted.  Continuous wearing of masks is not required by any individual in these places where a six-foot distance from others can be maintained. However, due to close proximity of people depending on the capacity size and the uncertainty of vaccination status, the wearing of masks is recommended, especially for the unvaccinated. Again, masks are otherwise not necessary when outside in campus spaces.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:

Masks will continue to be required of all individuals on public transportation, including UConn buses.

LIBRARIES, MUSEUMS, AND PERFORMING ARTS FACILITIES:

Masks are required for faculty, staff, employees, and students working in these venues just like any other UConn indoor space (see above), as well as all visitors to these facilities/venues.

Exact schedules are still to be determined for the re-opening of UConn facilities such as the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts.

ATHLETIC VENUES:

Masks are not required for fully vaccinated visitors to athletic events. Masks are still required for visitors who are not fully vaccinated.

Masks are required for faculty, staff, employees, and students working at athletic events.

Exact capacities for UConn athletic facilities in 2021-22 are still to be determined.

TRAVEL:

There are no changes to UConn’s domestic or international travel guidelines at this time. If any changes occur, they will be communicated separately. Please review the current guidelines for employees.

ADDITIONAL REMINDERS:

Virtual options must remain available for meeting participants throughout the summer.

Employees who have been working remotely partially or fully should plan to continue to do so through at least mid-August. Employees who have been working remotely will not be asked to return to campus prior to Aug. 15 unless there is a business reason for doing so.

Indoor large-scale meetings of any kind should not take place in person at this time and interviews should remain virtual unless there is a compelling business reason, approved by the appropriate Executive Vice President, to conduct in-person interviews.

Additionally, employees should assume that the Spring On-Campus Registry will continue into the summer, and employees who intend to return to campus before Aug. 15 must work with Human Resources to be added to the Registry.

As new guidance and other information is received, the University will continue to update its workforce and the campus communities throughout the summer months and into the fall.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding as we all keep each other and our communities safe.