Hi Everyone,

I was contacted by Girls Inc. Worcester (https://www.girlsincworcester.org/programs/stem-leadership/eureka) to check on the possibilities for their Girls to be trained on ArcGIS within their externs' program.

"Externs” are unique learning opportunities to train 8th-12th grade girls to develop confidence and discover leadership and academic opportunities in STEM.

The program is from is June 28th to July 23rd Monday – Thursday. From about 9am – 2pm. I told the organizer that this is probably too much volunteering time for a single person, so I'm reaching out to the group to see if many of us can volunteer to provide the girls this learning opportunity.

 The program will be online for this summer and the topics include gaining an understanding of ArcGIS software, for them to come up with a project idea on what they would like to create over the 4 weeks and then for them to potentially be able to teach a peer about how to use the software during the second half of the summer. Given that they are young girls with a first exposure to the software, the course will be kept as simple as possible, but at the same time providing them with some creative freedom in choosing something to produce using the software.

Although the course is 9-2pm, the time is split allowing time for instructions and intros to a new “tool/resource” and independent work (Total of up to 8 hours a week of “instructor-led” – flexible on how this is split, and a total of 8 hours of independent work.)

Please email me if you can volunteer some of your time on this.

Thank you!

Flor

Florencia Sangermano, Ph.D.
Assistant  Professor, Graduate School of Geography
Clark University
Worcester, MA 01610
[log in to unmask]" shash="r1D/EE7ehglD4pJevzSCrYvckFX6lQkk5dhWuXRPY4TkvgrnQxKBnVPTa5AwRp1yeWGAfcq1dkT7EW24asrXLwFWSqrk8GJ/Oswd+30m9tz0itVgLA/EArdo1gv+6BP654O3oOh6/9PdY525IVorrvVW+LhDRqE3/RLVdTdjsfk=" target="_blank" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)">[log in to unmask]
Pronouns: She, Her, Hers