Fall semester will soon begin, and ISSS would like to remind all international students that you must study on a full-time basis every semester.

Full-time generally means you are taking a minimum of:

·         Bachelor’s level: 12 credits

·         Master’s/PhD level with graduate assistantship: 6 credits

·         Master’s/Grad Certificate/PhD level, no graduate assistantship: 9 credits, or 3 credit FT GRAD course

·         JD students: 12 credits

·         UCAELI: Participate fully in your intensive English program

Reduced Course Load for Last Semester

If you will graduate in December, and you need fewer than full-time credits to complete your program, you may request permission from ISSS to take a Reduced Course Load for Last Semester. Submit this request by August 30. Do not complete this form until your courses for fall semester are confirmed.  Link to application information and form: https://isss.uconn.edu/part-time-study/#reducedcourseloadforlastsemester

Check Your I-20/DS-2019 Program End Date

In addition to taking the full-time amount of credits, remember you must also complete all program requirements by the program end date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019 form, and plan your courses accordingly. If your I-20/DS-2019 program end date falls within fall semester and you will not be able to complete this semester, you must request an extension of your form. ISSS cannot extend your program end date on your Form I-20/DS-2019 after it has passed.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, special study rules continue to be in place for online/distance learning:

·     Students who were not in the U.S. as F-1 students in March 2020 must enroll in at least one in-person or hybrid course during your study in the United States. New J-1 students must be coming to participate in at least partial in-person learning as well. Students who began their program after March 2020 and who study online from their home country this fall cannot maintain an active SEVIS record/I-20.

·     Students who began their program in F or J status before March 2020, and have maintained continuous status since then, may be enrolled 100% online if necessary, and maintain an active SEVIS record. If you choose to take online classes from outside the U.S., ISSS can maintain your SEVIS record in active status, as long as you study on a full time basis.

Please contact ISSS with any questions at [log in to unmask].

Rae Alexander

She/Her/Hers

Director

International Student and Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT

GLOBAL AFFAIRS

2011 Hillside Road, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the INTERNATIONAL-L list, click the following link:
https://ListServ.Uconn.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=INTERNATIONAL-L&A=1