Dear international students and scholars,

We would like to remind you about procedures for traveling outside the U.S. while you are on your F or J visa. Please remember that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, international travel is still very unpredictable and subject to complications. ISSS is closely watching updates on U.S. travel policies and we will update students as we learn more.

·         F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors who return to the U.S. from a trip abroad must show U.S. immigration your current I-20 or DS-2019 form with a travel signature signed by an authorized ISSS staff member within the last 12 months (or 6 months if you are on post-completion OPT). You will also need an unexpired visa (unless you are Canadian) and a passport valid at least 6 months into the future. At this time, both electronic and original travel signatures are acceptable for F-1 students, but you still will present a paper (hardcopy) I-20. For J-1 students, only an original travel signature is acceptable.

·         F and J visa Students: Report your international travel and request a travel signature from ISSS by completing a Travel Information Record. Even if you already have a travel signature, please submit this form to report your international travel, in case of an emergency.

·         J Visiting Scholars: Report your international travel by logging into the ISSS Scholar Portal and clicking on Requests > Travel Signature. Even if you already have a travel signature, please submit this form to report your international travel, in case of an emergency.

·         IMPORTANT! After you submit the Travel Information Record or Travel Request, bring your paper I-20 or DS-2019 form to ISSS and leave it at the front desk (Storrs) or with your ISSS Advisor (Stamford, Hartford, Law School) so that we can sign it for travel. If you received your most recent I-20 from ISSS during the COVID-19 shutdown, it might still be in pdf format in the ISSS Portal. In this case, you would download, print and drop off that I-20 form. DS-2019 forms were all issued as hard copy, so you should have your most recent form if you are on a J-1 visa.

·         When to apply: For travel during winter break, ISSS at Storrs will hold travel signature week(s). Submit your Travel Information Record/Travel Signature Request and drop off your I-20 or DS-2019 at ISSS between November 29 and December 3, for pick-up by December 10. If you will travel before winter break, submit your travel signature request and drop off your I-20 or DS-2019 at least two weeks before your departure date. Students who study at the Stamford, Hartford or Law campuses may receive special instructions for winter break travel from your ISSS Advisor there. Otherwise apply at least two weeks before your departure date.

·         Not sure if you have your most recent I-20 or DS-2019? Follow these instructions to see your ISSS-issued document copies in the ISSS Portal. https://isss.uconn.edu/isss-covid-19-faq/#collapsepanel-10144-0-0-213

·         Where to find the forms and more travel information: https://isss.uconn.edu/travel/

·          QUESTIONS? Contact ISSS at [log in to unmask] or ask an international advisor

Rae Alexander

She/Her/Hers

Director

International Student and Scholar Services

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT

GLOBAL AFFAIRS

2011 Hillside Road, U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the INTERNATIONAL-L list, click the following link:
https://ListServ.Uconn.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=INTERNATIONAL-L&A=1