Dear UConn Colleagues:

I write to introduce Deer Oaks EAP Services as our new Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Work/Life services provider, effective November 1st for Storrs and Regional campus employees!

Deer Oaks is a national provider, with experience providing EAP & Work/Life services to many colleges and universities across the nation, and locally provides services to other State of Connecticut agencies.  We have ensured that employees will have convenient access to the Deer Oaks network of counselors wherever they live or work through the expansive and diverse network of 1,248 counselors across Connecticut, and 58,000+ nationwide.

Human Resources recognized some time ago that an enhancement to EAP services was an important undertaking to support employees in their efforts to maintain a healthy Work/Life balance while remaining productive and engaged in the workplace. Additionally, HR listened to and heard UConn employees’ needs that have grown and changed as UConn has also grown and changed to over 6 campuses across our great state.  Our efforts were further reinforced with the on-going challenges employees have been facing amid the pandemic.  Through our extensive RFP process, Deer Oaks EAP stood out as the best provider to meet our varied needs.

All Faculty, Staff, temporary (special payroll) employees, and Graduate Assistants hired on the UConn Storrs and Regional Campuses will have access to the Deer Oaks EAP programs, effective November 1stUConn Health EAP will continue to provide EAP services to employees hired through UConn Health, and I want to thank UConn Health EAP for their many years of dedicated service to our UConn employees.

Highlights of the Deer Oaks EAP services include:

Traditional EAP Services

·       Six free sessions of traditional counseling available face to face, virtual or telephonic, to employees and their family members, per concern.

·       AWARE Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program;

·       Telephonic Life Coaching;

·       In My Hands – Computerized Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (cCBT); and

·       iConnectYou App to engage with counselors, assessments, and resources;

Management Support and Critical Incident Services

·       On-site and telephonic crisis management support for critical incidents;

·       Management consultations; and

·       Supervisor and manager training opportunities such as a supervisor excellence series, emotional intelligence for managers, and conflict resolution.

Robust Work/Life and Well-being Resources

·       Concierge Services assisting with locating child and elder care, as well as daily living resources such as home repairs and vacation planning;

·       Legal consultations;

·       Financial consultations;

·       Interactive health assessments; and

·       Discount shopping program.

Educational and Skill Development Seminars

·       Online/in person training programs; including a stress management series, mental health-recognize and respond program, leading through a crisis, preventing burnout, and coping with loss;

·       Monthly and on-demand webinars on topics such as goal setting, building happy and healthy relationships, and embracing diversity and differences; and

·       An extensive library of webinars, including various pandemic support topics on change, uncertainty, anxiety, and resilience as well as personal and professional development topics, including time management, building a culture of respect, communicating effectively in a diverse world, emotional management, and caregiving excellence.

Over the next several weeks, Human Resources will share materials and hold informational sessions introducing the program through Microsoft Teams, the Daily Digest and UConn Human Resources’ Instagram and Twitter, as well as through HR’s dynamic new EAP website. As with any transition, Deer Oaks is working with us to learn even more about the many different categories of employees, their needs, and our campuses.

In closing, I want to sincerely thank HR’s Employee and Wellness Engagement team, Procurement Services, and the wonderful group of faculty and staff who participated in the needs assessment and vendor selection committee. Please reach out to Vicki Fry, Manager, Employee Engagement & Wellbeing, if you have any questions about the program.

Best regards,

Chris Delello

Chief Human Resources Officer