Hi all,

I’m looking for a good strategy for teaching the concept of group layers. We are transitioning from a custom web map with a non-standard toggle behavior (enabling/disabling a group would enable/clear all child items) to one with a more standard behavior (groups, sub-groups, and child layers all toggle independently). The switch has been tricky for people, and I have yet to come up with a good analogy. The best I’ve come up with is to think of a TV inside a room inside a house. You can open and close the room and house doors, neither of which affects the state of the TV, but either could affect the TV’s visibility (both have to be open if you want to see the TV from outside, anyway!).

So I’m wondering: do you have a great example you use when teaching this concept?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Smith-Petersen, GISP
Senior Business Systems Analyst - GIS
Portland Water District
Phone: 207-523-5417
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.pwd.org

Portland Water District NOTICE & DISCLAIMER Confidentiality Notice:

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND
MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. Please notify the sender if you have received

this message in error. Recipients should be aware that replies to this message may not be considered confidential under

the Maine Freedom of Access law, 1 M.R.S.A. §402, and may therefore be subject to public disclosure upon request.