Hi all,

A question for the GIS practitioner hive-mind: is there an easy and/or well-documented way to use previously generated 3D models to help carry out new fieldwork?

At a minimum, we’re looking for a way to view 3D models on a tablet without requiring consistent data or wifi (maybe there’s an app for this?). In a dream scenario, we’d want to view the 3D models in an augmented reality (AR) environment, allowing us to point the camera at a site and view the model superimposed on the image on-screen. The models themselves are orthorectified and accurate to within mm of their real-world position, and there are points across the site with known coordinates that could be used as tethers for the tablet.

I’d love to get input from folks working in other fieldwork-heavy sectors. Is anyone doing this?

Thanks!

Becky

Rebecca Seifried, PhD (she/her)
Geospatial Information Librarian