I have taught several Migrating to ArcGIS Pro classes. I generally recommend 2 days of training which includes lectures, demo and hands on exercises to show folks where things are in ArcGIS Pro, what has changed, terminology and some of the new functionality. Once they have that training, then I would say it takes about a month of using ArcGIS Pro for existing ArcMap users to get close to the same level of productivity as before.

Honestly, I have found completely new users actually pick up ArcGIS Pro much faster than past ArcMap users. The ArcGIS Pro user interface is much more like other applications like Word and Excel so they adapt more quickly and they don’t have predeveloped muscle memory to overcome.

I just got done teaching a Migrating to ArcGIS Pro class to the staff at the Land of Sky Regional Council in Asheville NC. Most all of them were experienced ArcMap users and a couple of those were “You will pry ArcMap out of my cold dead hands” types. By the end of the two days, everyone was much more excited about moving to and using ArcGIS Pro. One of the “You will pry ArcMap out of my cold dead hands” types actually said she liked ArcGIS Pro now and was looking forward to the change.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP

Business Development Manager – GIS & Aerial

SAM, LLC

470-998-8944 (Cell)

Certs_SM