Dear Students,
Greetings from ISSS! This message is going out to all students, but only applies to those students graduating in Spring 23.

Congratulations!  If you are graduating in Spring 23, ISSS will need to shorten your I-20 or DS-2019 end date to the end of the semester.  Your new end date will be 05/06/2023. PLEASE NOTE: your last day of on-campus work permission will be 05/06/2023.  You must stop working on-campus after this date.  Your grace period begins the day after on 05/07/2023.  If your most recent form I-20/DS-2019 has a future program end date, it will no longer be valid. If there is any chance that you will not finish by 05/06/2023 you must contact your ISSS advisor before this date.

F-1 Students:

Be advised that you have a 60-day grace period to remain in the United States before your F-1 status ends.  Your 60-day grace period starts from the date you completed your program as indicated above.

J-1 Students:
Be advised that you have a
30-day grace period to remain in the United States before your J-1 status ends.  Your 30-day grace period starts from the date you completed your program as indicated above.

Graduate Assistants Completing in Spring 23:

You can read more about the policy for GA's last day of work here. This was shared with all students at the beginning of the semester.  Please work with your supervisor to ensure

that you finish the duties associated with your assistantship before May 06, 2023. You will still receive your full GA stipend for spring 2023, but the time from May 6 through May 22, 2023 will be treated as time off.

To process your F-1 SEVIS record, ISSS needs you to take one of the following actions before the end of your grace period:

1.  Prepare to depart the U.S.- submit Program Update-Compete/Shorten Form

2.  Request another form I-20 or DS-2019 to begin a new degree program at UConn – submit Continuing Student I-20/DS-2019 Request;

3. Transfer to another school to start a new program-submit SEVIS Transfer Out Request

4. Report a change in your non-immigrant status from F-1 to another visa status – submit Program Update-Change Visa Status Notification

5. Apply for work permission to stay in the U.S. and work in your major field.

F-1 Students: Apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work in the U.S. in your major field.  You must apply for OPT before you depart the U.S.

J-1 Students: Apply for Academic Training (AT) to work in the U.S. in your major field.  You must apply for Academic Training before your DS-2019 expires.

Please contact your international advisor if you require further assistance. You can reach us at (860) 486-3855 or by email at [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.  We hope that all of our spring graduates found their time at UConn academically satisfying and personally fulfilling. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Best wishes,

___________

Arthur Galinat
Director, International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

UConn Global Affairs
Center for International Students & Scholars
2019 Hillside Rd., U-1083
STORRS, CT 06269-1083
PHONE: 860.486.3855
FAX: 860.486.5800

*NEW* Location: Center for International Students & Scholars (CISS)

EMAIL:
[log in to unmask] | http://isss.uconn.edu

Facebook: @UConnGlobal  | Instagram: @uconn.global

To unsubscribe from the INTERNATIONAL-L list, click the following link:
https://ListServ.Uconn.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=INTERNATIONAL-L&A=1