For those of you running an enterprise geodatabase with SQL Server, do you know if you have the “named pipes” protocol enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager?

Can you make connections without it enabled?

Have you tried an alternate named pipe, or did you have any concerns about using the default sql\query one?

Any info on this setting is appreciated. We have connection issues and Esri tells us to turn it on but my dba doesn’t want to… they want to use an alternate one for enhanced security, but Esri gives no comment on how to connect to that.

Thanks,

Nicholas McNamara, GISP

UITS: Physical Infrastructure & Planning
University of Connecticut

(860) 486-2515