This message was sent securely using Zix®

Well, its coming up on that time of year again! GIS Day 2023! I hope you all are as excited as I am 😊! We are now busily planning for our event and are hoping to recruit some speakers and participants from the amazingly talented GIS individuals in our region. Yes, that means you! While primarily for our student body, this event will be open to the public. Arrangements are being finalized, as we speak, as to date (Tuesday, 11/14/2023, so we don’t conflict with your GIS Day event!), location (Sullivan County Community College (SCCC), Loch Sheldrake, NY), and time (9 am – 3:30 pm, set up starts at 9 am, event at 10 am).

Our theme this year is See the Future with GIS! Since we are hosting it at our local college we thought this would be a fantastic opportunity to introduce our students to the benefits of looking to the future with GIS in mind. So, we are trying to highlight how GIS is used in their chosen career path, program of study, or other areas of interest. We are also hoping to highlight regional universities that offer GIS degree’s, programs, or online coursework that would complement their studies at SCCC should they choose to continue their studies after graduation at SCCC.

To that end we are looking for speakers and presenters eager to introduce our students to how GIS is used in those fields/careers related to the programs of study at SCCC. We don’t want to leave anyone out so be sure to sign up early! We have slots open for displays (maps, posters), tables (informational or interactive), focus talks (20 minute audio/visual presentations), and lightning talks (5 minutes) for other GIS related topics. What focus talks are we looking for? See below!

For Speakers:

How GIS is used in…

Please note, students have inquisitive minds, so speakers are encouraged to either 1) allow for a 5 minute Q & A session at the conclusion of your talk, 2) sign-up for a display table/presentation highlighting their topic, or 3) do both! This will allow our students and the public to ask questions and get more information.

For Displays/Tables/Presentations:

For our regional GIS students and Professors: First, to our students, smart decision joining our NEARC listserv, this is an invaluable resource for you as you build your GIS career. Welcome! Second, your submissions (audio/visual or display) are also welcome! Your experiences and projects in pursuing a GIS program of study at your university could be invaluable to your peers and our public.

Now that your interest is piqued, let’s get mappy! Again, slots are limited so be sure to sign up early! If you are interested in presenting (display/table/presentation) or speaking (lighting talks or 20 minute audio/visual presentation), please let me know by October 1st, 2023 by responding to this email. I do ask that you submit a brief description of your display or audio/visual presentation so we can plan accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you! 😊

Jennifer D. Stone
GIS Coordinator

911 Addressing Coordinator

Division of Information Technology Services, GIS Program

County of Sullivan

100 North Street

Monticello, NY 12701

office: 845-807-0110 | fax: 845-807-0111

[log in to unmask] | www.sullivanny.us

cid:18029d7d4ad4cdccc1    cid:18029d7d4ad5af44d2    cid:18029d7d4ad690bce3    cid:18029d7d4ad772f6c4   cid:18029d7d4ad855d355

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments. Do NOT forward it to a third party without the written consent of the sender. The County of Sullivan is a public entity; consequently, this email may be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Law. Thank you.

This message was secured by Zix®.