Our single largest credit cost by far comes from hosted feature layer storage. We have been pretty good about doing our geoprocessing locally rather than on AGOL, where it is quite expensive. We are considering limiting it through roles, just to be on the safe side. If someone truly needs AGOL geoprocessing for some reason, the role with the necessary privilege can always be granted temporarily to that person.

As for storage, you won't be in trouble if you have analysts creating hosted feature layers using input tables of a few thousand rows, but once you get to 500,000 and up (statewide roads, tax parcels, roof prints, etc.) you are talking real dollars (credits). To keep a lid on the credit costs you need to foster a practice of always asking, "Has someone else already published this data in a way I can consume?" It could be within your own organization, or even better, from an external authoritative source (the state GIS agency, for example). We try to nudge our analysts away from creating hosted feature layers with any data that we didn't develop in-house, ourselves because, chances are, it's already being served elsewhere.

The credit quotas per user can be helpful, but as far as I can tell, storage credits being burned by hosted feature layers are not associated with any particular user, including the user who created the hosted feature layer, and thus are not caught by the quota limits. Some of my most expensive culprits, host feature layer-wise, show up as having used 0 credits. Caveat emptor!

David Knudsen  |  he, him, his
Chief GIS Programmer/Analyst
Central Transportation Planning Staff
Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization
857.702.3669 | [log in to unmask] | bostonmpo.org